Now Available: Indonesia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2015
Indonesia's pharmaceutical market holds strong promise due to the continued expansion of universal healthcare and positive economic outlook with the ongoing integration of the country into the ASEAN Economic Community . However, this potential is weighed on by the newly passed law requiring halal certification , which is expected to be enforced by 2019.
Headline Expenditure Projections
* Pharmaceuticals: IDR63,806bn (USD6.11bn) in 2013 to IDR69,493bn (USD5.86bn) in 2014; +8.9% growth in local currency terms and -4.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly in line with previous quarter.
* Healthcare: IDR284,975bn (USD27.3bn) in 2013 to IDR324,040bn (USD27.4bn) in 2014; +13.7% growth in local currency terms and +0.3% in US dollar terms.
Full Report Details at
In our latest Q414 proprietary Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Index (RRI), Indonesia ranks 13th out of the 19 Asia Pacific markets. Though its Rewards are considered to be above than the regional average, Indonesia's Risks profile is considerably more unfavourable, which will continue to detract foreign players from investing in the country's pharmaceutical market.
Key Trends And Developments
* In November 2014, employers in Indonesia requested that the new universal healthcare system be delayed by two years from the current January 1 2015 to January 1 2017. Deputy Chairman of the Indonesian Employers Association Hariyadi Sukamdani argued that this is to give enough time to perfect the country's healthcare system.
* In November 2014, Indonesian President Joko Widodo introduced the Indonesia Heath Card which is scheduled to be distributed across the country and provide free health insurance to the underprivileged. These cards will work similar to the Jakarta Health Card (KJS) that were launched in Jakarta when Widodo was its governor.
* In October 2014 the Halal Product Security (Jaminan Produk Halal) bill was signed into law by former President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono. Originally mooted as a...
The Indonesia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Indonesia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Indonesian pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
* Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for Indonesia to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Indonesian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
* Target business opportunities and risks in the Indonesian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Indonesia.
* Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
Healthcare: Total healthcare expenditure (US$bn), healthcare expenditure (% of GDP), healthcare expenditure per capita (US$), hospital beds (per `000 population), doctors (per `000 population), birth and mortality rate (per `000 population)
Pharmaceutical market: Drug expenditure (US$bn), drug expenditure (% of GDP), drug expenditure per capita (US$)
Patented drug market: Prescription drug sales (US$bn), prescription sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by 14 therapeutic areas (cardiovascular, anti-infectives etc.)
Generic drug market: Generic product sales (US$bn), generic sales (% of total sales)
OTC drug market: OTC sales (US$bn), OTC sales (% of total sales), sales broken down by product types (analgesics, skin treatments, vitamins and minerals etc.)
Medical Devices: Medical device sales (US$bn), medical device sales (% of total healthcare market)
Macroeconomic Forecasts: Nominal and real GDP, % real GDP growth, % private consumption growth, % industrial output growth, % consumer price index, % GDP price deflator, exports, imports, trade balance, current account balance, foreign direct investment, exchange rate against US$, government expenditure, external debt.
The competitive landscape section provides comparative company analyses and rankings by US$ sales and % share of total sales - for the total pharmaceutical sector, as well as the OTC, generics, and distribution sub-sectors.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.