The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is conducting an investigation into the deaths and illnesses of dogs that consumed pet food contaminated with a potent toxin called aflatoxin. To date, FDA is aware of 23 dogs that have died and another 18 dogs that have become ill. The pet food is made by Diamond Pet Food at its Gaston, South Carolina facility.
Customers who have purchased the recalled Diamond Pet Food manufactured in the South Carolina plant should immediately stop using it and return any remaining product to their retailer.
Aflatoxin comes from a fungus found on corn and other crops and can cause severe liver damage in pets. Consumers are urged to contact their veterinarian if their pets exhibit any of the following symptoms which may indicate aflatoxin consumption:
- Loss of appetite
- Jaundice (yellow whites of the eyes, gums, belly)
- Severe, persistent vomiting combined with bloody diarrhea
FDA also has discovered that some of the recalled product was exported to at least 29 countries, including countries within the European Union. These countries have been notified.
FDA is continuing to investigate the situation and is working closely with the state feed regulatory agencies in the affected states.
Additional information on the various products being recalled can be found on the following websites: